Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Heart and Sleeve

Recently I have been thinking about direction in life. In re-reading the short book by Stu Webber entitled 'The Heart of a Tender Warrior', talking about life and change with Luke, and pondering the ending of a school year, my mind returns to my direction in this life. Michael W. Smith wrote a song called 'Place in this World', and it is quite fitting in this situation:


The wind is moving
But I am standing still
A life of pages
Waiting to be filled

A heart that's hopeful
A head that's full of dreams
But this becoming
Is harder than it seems

Feels like I'm
Looking for a reason
Roamin' through the night to find
My place in this world
My place in this world
Not a lot to lean on
I need your light to help me find
My place in this world
My place in this world

If there are millions
Down on their knees
Among the many
Can you still hear me

Hear me asking
Where do I belong?
Is there a vision
That I can call my own?


I know my goal is to exalt Christ by cherishing and enjoying Him, but
I think I am longing for some direction in the future, some sign saying "TODD THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD BE". Is that sinful thinking? Is that a lack of trust in Christ? I just feel like I could try so many things in this life: teacher, missionary worker, bible translator, musician (k maybe not the last one :P) Luke also noted that who we know slowly changes depending on what we do and where we go. It is inevitable. And it takes a lot of work to keep friendships going. So how does someone know where they are called to? because this summer I really hope to find some direction for the future. I don't just want direction though, I want a vision for the future, a goal, a quest. Somewhere to lead a family. Hmm. Perhaps there is no vision because I am not ready for it yet. There is much to be desired in my character, things the Lord is continually conforming to his likeness, as well as showing me things I need to experience or learn. So then, I must study Christ, so I might adore him more, and thus desire to be like him and learn from the situations he places me in in the months and years to come. Pray for me my friends, help me keep these eyes on Jesus.

Romans 12:1, Hebrews 12:3

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Once all this school madness is over and done with, you're coming over, and I'm lending you Stu Weber's newer work (his masterpiece in my opinion) Four Pillars of a Man's Heart. Solid stuff, and bloody challenging too.

Mind if I echo your comments toddy?

'Cuz I'm echoing them.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the Lord leaves us in the dark cause he knows we need to rely on him more. And if we knew what was ahead we wouldn't as much. (at least that is the way it is with me). I will be praying for ya though!!