Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Another Chapter...

Today I felt the presence of that ever quiet, ever secret mood which declares far and wide the ending of another page in life, and another chapter with it. I am now truly finished my first year of Trent University, having gone out with style and panache which only Calvin might muster. I felt it appropriate this year to finish my greek exam in costume, and after rising to the occasion by wearing ski goggles and a 'toy story' cape I passed on part of the attire to Heather, who found it quite enjoyable to super-hero her way out of University. After a windy game of frisbee golf and a fine supper, we proceeded to bake a 'Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake' for our fellow bible-study-leader comrade. It ended up that Lauren and cheese cake are not the best of friends, so we all travelled to the Stephensons to enjoy it. Good times.
However, another chapter is slowly ending, the door cracked open enough for me to glance back and remember what the Lord has done, and how I have been changed for his glory. It is crazy to think about how different things were at the close of my year at KLBC, when compared with this year. And how similar.
I am currently reading a small biography on Hudson Taylor after which I promise I will go down to braidwood and finish off "Holy War". These missionary biographies really wrench my heart, so that I am much in thought about missions, and Pakistan. The Lord has in store for me a journey I could not dream up with all the imagination I have been blessed with. I need to read some more biographies this summer. I should talk with Levi, he'd know some good ones.
Pray that I would discover the Lord's will this summer. My heart is full, and has much to think and dwell on. Peace and Shade to you, until tommorow...

(Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret p34)

"A little while: 'twill soon be past!
Why should we shun the promised cross:
Oh let us in His footsteps haste,
Counting for Him all else but loss:
Then, how will recompense His smile
The sufferings of this little while!"


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Todd!
just wanted to say you are not alone...there are going to be alot of things this summer shows us all! may we continue to focus only on glorifying Christ, and in His footsteps haste - wise words from Hudson!
keep reading and sharing! Its encouraging!
*a praying sister
p.s. congrats on officially finishing first year! :)

gracie said...

I was most impacted by:
the two volume set on Hudson Taylor - Growth of a Soul and Growth of a Work? - anyway they had old old copies at Westmount in the basement library - but now I have my own if you ever want to borrow them. Also, several books by Isobel Kuhn, Elizabeth Elliot's A Chance to Die (about Amy Carmichael), CT Studds biography (they have it at Braidwood), Geoffrey Bull?'s volumes including When Iron Gates Yield, and I think one is called 1000 miles of miracles -
There is another one about William Carey, I forget the name. Also, have you listed to the Piper biographies from his pastor conferences? He does Brainerd, Adoniram Judson etc.
I'll stop now,