Sunday, May 08, 2005

Solitude

So I have been thinking recently, after observing an interesting phenomenon in this culture, that solitude is something I will seek after more in the future. Good old fashion alone time, be it throwing a frisbee, or reading a book, or taking a walk, whatever. I come to this conclusion after observing many people react stunned at the thought that I did something by myself, with that purpose in mind. Isn't it kind of weird that the first question someone asks you when you tell them you went to play frisbee golf is: Who with?
The Lord has blessed me this past week in allowing me to experience alone time, and to be honest I pretty much wasted a lot of it trying to figure out what to do with myself. Then I realized that it truly is a gift from God to be able to spend a day or a week by yourself (not that you don't see or talk to people, but that you don't plan for it, or need it). So I began reading books more and more, and downloaded more sermons by John Piper on Romans. I believe this is an area of my life I would like to improve in. Spending my alone time wisely and profitably, unworried about hanging out with people so much.
For it is in solitude that I will really know God. Not just in an intellectual way, but in that deep loving way which is found in a quiet field of flowers, or on a hill of grass, where the soul can reflect and be truly satisfied in Jesus. He leads me beside still waters, he restores my soul. My current favourite song from Caedmon's Call is "Walk with Me", which speaks to my heart each time I play it, or hear it. I realize that many of you are extremely busy with work, but I would encourage you to use the time you have wisely, seek out the Lord in the stillness of solitude, if the Lord grants you the time. And believe me, if you desire to be quiet with Jesus, he will give you that time.

'Walk with me empty, walk with me strong
The hush of our voices, when the day seems so long.
It is like a balm, it is like a jewel, it unravels all i thought i knew...'


3 comments:

Rach B said...

provoking

Jerry said...

I wish I could formulate this well at the moment, but I just can't. Thanks for the honesty.

Sarah Beth said...

Thank you for these thoughts, definitely something to think about and experience in my own life.. Walk with me empty, walk with me strong...
p.s. I updated my blog