Saturday, May 14, 2005

O Christ in Thee my soul hath found

The Lord has been using this hymn, and a message Andy Bowes preached from the book of James, to make me think about how much I really love Jesus compared with how much I love other things. As my previous post suggested, I've had a week or two to realize that I crave a whole lot of things over Jesus. So its time to kill the cravings I think. And I'm more a fan of the 'cold turkey' approach versus the 'smoker's patch' approach. Pay particular attention to verse 4.

-todd.


O Christ in Thee my soul hath found

1
O Christ, in Thee my soul hath found, and found in Thee alone,
the peace, the joy, I sought so long, the bliss till now unknown.

Now none but Christ can satisfy, none other Name for me!
There’s love, and life, and lasting joy, Lord Jesus, found in Thee!

2
I sighed for rest and happiness, I yearned for them, not Thee,
but while I passed my Saviour by, His love laid hold on me.

3
I tried the broken cisterns, Lord, but, ah! the waters failed!
E’en as I stooped to drink they fled and mocked me as I wailed.

4
The pleasures lost I sadly mourned, but never wept for Thee,
till grace the sightless eyes received Thy loveliness to see.

3 comments:

Rach B said...

Cold turkey isn't easy and you can't do that in your own strength.
"Turn your eyes upon Jesus look full in his wonderful face And (THEN naturally) the things of earth will grow strangly dim in the light of his glory and grace."
just a thought

gracie said...

Yes, I think that is what you meant when you pointed us to verse 4, is that right Tod?
So good to be able to keep in touch with you Rach. Glad you got some work.
If you come for the wedding will you be at Braidwood Sunday?
Aunty Deb
Oops, this is "cross talk" (well I should hope so, we should always speak of the cross), no I don't have multiple personalities, I just talk to myself.
Tod - I have listened to the tape of that teaching several times myself, and am praying that by grace my eyes will be opened,

robert said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts--and for the inclusion of the gospel song "None but Christ Can Satisfy." It reminds me of the parable of the prodigal son, looking for satisfaction in all the wrong places, until he returned to his father.

If you enjoy reading about our hymns and their authors, I encourage you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns.

And if you’ll excuse a brief “commercial:” With the arrival of fall, we begin to think of the Christmas season up ahead. If you do not have a good book on the subject of our Christmas carols, I encourage you to take a look at mine, Discovering the Songs of Christmas. In it, I discuss the history and meaning of 63 carols and Christmas hymns. The book is available through Amazon, or directly from Jebaire Publishing. (Might make a great gift too!)