Sunday, March 06, 2005

The War of the Mind

Life is war of the mind. A battle to fight a rotten, greedy, bitter nature whose overall desire is to exalt itself, by whatever means. It fights with ever increasing vigor, a formidable opponent who attacks only weak points, even feigns death for a time to gain an edge. I am becoming more and more convinced that there is no possible way I could, of myself, fight against this nature. This is simply due to the fact that before Christ there was no other nature in me from which to wage war with. And i am even more convinced of the fact that I have no power of my own, in my new nature, with which to wage war against the old. For time and time again I have seen the struggle in thought, and have determined whole-heartedly that I would not participate in sin. And be it minutes or hours, I succumb to the sin, and wonder where I have gone wrong. Only by constantly renewing the mind with the word, and praying, asking the Lord for the strength to fight temptations, can anyone be victorious in this war. Friends, I urge you to take stock of the past, the times where you have failed miserably, knowing you have offended the most Holy God, and resolve to fight the war as it was intended to be fought: With God's word.

-Read 'Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life' by Don Whitney, and Tozer's 'Knowledge of the Holy.'
-For an understanding of the war of the mind read John Bunyan's Holy War (so far its dynamite!)

todd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So very true. We stand condemned, as Robinson Crusoe was, having our conscience grip us, reminding us of our past mistakes. Yet in our moments of peace we forget the agonies of the past, only to fall into the same mistakes again.

We humans sure get distracted easily.

- Shane