Thursday, January 12, 2006

This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything

I'm tired of you
throwing up all over me
And even more tired of
Eating your regurgetated breakfast;
Reflexes numb,
Conscience cold,
Tatste buds writhing in protest.

I find the gall to return to the table
in search of some crumbs.
Fast food remorse declines fresh bread,
So that I'm unsatisfied a step out of the door.
I want more.

-the bard 12/01/06


An analysis of what it means to be fulfilled (or in this case filled) by the world rather than by Christ. I think the key to the poem is the line 'fast food remorse declines fresh bread', because it speaks to the state of the human heart. For a season people may regret their efforts to find satisfaction in worldly things, but the motive is wrong, because they go back to it, rather than to Jesus. We would rather stuff our faces with McDonalds than feast at God's table. I am attempting to (as I probably do in most of my poetry) impress a vivid image at the beginning of the piece, which is a metaphor for the more abstract meaning which flows from the second portion. The hope is that the image is stuck in the mind and referred back to when the abstract thought is dealt with, so that a lasting parallel is made between the two, and a concrete change in life is demanded. If I continually write the same material, it condemns me for not dealing with the issue. And I like it that way. For me poetry is another medium by which I work out my thoughts and feelings, which hopefully results in changes to my life.

Only through Christ's working can I find satisfaction in God. Only with new eyes can I see Him as lovely, and only with a new heart can I adore what I see.

Peace friends!

Todd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"For a season people may regret their efforts to find satisfaction in worldly things, but the motive is wrong, because they go back to it, rather than to Jesus. We would rather stuff our faces with McDonalds than feast at God's table"

Sadly, this resonates with me - once again I've spent the last five hours eating the world's junk food, when my plan had been to read a missionary biography and some Bunyan.

"Only through Christ's working can I find satisfaction in God. Only with new eyes can I see Him as lovely, and only with a new heart can I adore what I see.?
YES, THANK GOD FOR THIS HOPE