Monday, January 30, 2006

From the loo.

I have had quite the weekend down here in Waterloo. I had the opportunity to go on a retreat which encompassed the University/College/Working folk of a church here, the Laurier Christian Fellowship, the Waterloo Christian Fellowship, and the Guelph/Brantford crew. About 120 people in total were at the retreat, and it was used by God to effect powerful change in many people's lives, because it was focussed on Acts 16, and in particular, the idea of laying down what we think is our right to have authority in life. The thing that hit me most, I think, was that we are called to lay down what we believe to be our right to have security in life, and submit to what Jesus calls us to. No more chasing after a University Degree for the purpose of getting a job so I can pay bills. Instead, chasing after a community of people whom I love and cherish, and want to spend time affecting people with for the kingdom of God. That means moving with them, living with them, loving and hurting with them, exhorting them, encouraging them, and having the same done to you.

The question was posed: "What authorities currently control your life, which are not honouring to Christ" (paraphrase)

And it struck me that World of Warcraft was becoming a real problem in that way. I was desiring to spend time playing that game more than spend time with Jesus. Paralleling this weekend, Heather and I have been studying Isaiah 45-47, and in 46:5,9 It speaks about How there is none like God. Nothing is like Him at all. So I resolved (and actually wrote it on a piece of paper) that, when I get home I am going to burn WoW. Take the CD's, put them in the case, go outside to the garage and throw them in the stove. Then light it on fire. The crazy thing is, that is not nearly as intense or momentous a decision, as some other one's I have been pondering. It comes back to the idea of security. Have I been studying at University hoping to get a degree so I can make a living and support a wife, etc... I think the answer is yes, and I believe that that is a bad motive. The motivation I have for anything I do should be to Glorify Christ, and the best way to do that is to spend time in a community with people willing to do the same, and seeking to invite others to join their lives. So Heather and I have been praying a lot recently about what the summer might look like, and where the Lord is directing us in the coming year. Pray that I would not chase what the world chases! Pray that I would not depend on the security of wealth, or social status, or job status that this world craves so much. Pray that I would cling to Christ instead.

Thanks friends,

Todd

5 comments:

shine.is.dead said...

loo is totally slang for "toilet."

You dirty, dirty man.

Just kidding, interesting thoughts.

Funny, I've been reading Is. 45-47 too!

Well, how 'bout them apples!

Todd said...

heehee i know.

Anonymous said...

Todd,
I certainly will be praying for you - I don't want you to compromise - you are on the verge of something wonderful.
Have you read Oz Guinness's book 'The Call?'

Aunt Deb

Todd said...

No, I haven't read it. Is there a description I could read from a website?

Jerry said...

Funny how you don't even need the CD's to play the game... but I definitely see the symbolic nature of your 'burning in effigy'. Well done.

It was fun to adventure with you occasionally Todder. Looking forward to seeing you 'IRL' more. :)