Monday, January 09, 2006

The smile behind the laugh

My Dad and I tend to clash personality-wise, which puts a strain on how we interact while doing jobs around the house, etc... So today I was asking the Lord to give me a good attitude while helping Dad out in taking out some seats from a van. And it was a struggle, but we got through it without any problems. The entire time my Dad was uncertain as to whether he should even pull the seats out and go through the hassle it may cause. Then the funniest thing happened. Dad comes in and tells this story:

"So I'm going through the van cleaning out the holes where the seats latch into, and I find a quarter. I said to myself, 'I'm going to be rich'. Immediately I turned to my right and found a plastic bag containing around $50."

This story made me laugh. We made $50 pulling a seat out of the van, when we thought it wasn't even worthwhile to do so. There was a smile behind my laugh though. Dad was thinking about adapting the van so that a few people in wheelchairs would not have to count on the City Bus Service to get to church on Sunday (it is always booked up on Sundays). I think God is telling him to go for it.

Giving allows us to demonstrate where our joy is truly found: The glory of God in Christ.

todd

3 comments:

Shawn Cuthill said...

Great story Todd, give the big guy a hug for me :)

Anonymous said...

A classic Doug story!

Jerry said...

Gotta love Douggie.

Soo... when can I take seats out of your vans for you?