Friday, January 05, 2007

1/3

As my previous post indicated, I was pondering three major things.

1. God's transforming power (in the life of friends)

2. The King's birth

3. True Heroism.

Here goes. 1/3


1. Ponderings about the nature of God's transforming power with a view to the effects seen in the lives of close friends.

A. It is always breathtaking

When I say in common speech that "God moved in my heart" what I am referring to is quite a powerful statement, when analyzed closely. I am explaining that the Creator of the Universe, the sustainer of all life, the fountain of beauty, holiness, and joy is personal. This is breathtaking. The most breathtaking work which God does is to open the eyes of the human heart to see reality. He always does this with those who do not know him, and he is constantly doing it with those who do. By 'eyes of the human heart' I mean do draw an analogy between physical sight and what a person really loves. Before God moved, our perception of real things was whatever appetite was most self-oriented, and least God-oriented. It was whatever pleased self most while displeasing God most. For we thought that pleasure was something that was as far away from God as possible. Fun, happiness, joy, were only found when self was elevated to as high a position as possible. The breathtaking thing, is that when God moves, it restores the perception so that the appetite of the heart is God-centered, which increases joy. It is not as if God is continually pulling us away from something we think will be more satisfying then him. Or wilder, or more passionate, or more valuable, or more knowledgeable. When God shows the eyes what is real in life, that the blind appetites and desires of the heart in all of its self-elevation, the heart will always choose to run after God. And that is why it is breathtaking to watch God work in the hearts of humans.

B. It has eternal consequences and scope

This entry on a specific level, is focused on a mighty work of God in the life of a good friend, and sinner, Jerry Bolton. I can say sinner because I am right there with him, and because recently I have been given further cause to rejoice in his repentance and change. I pray that I will always be called to examine my sin by this dude, be it late night Google-Talk, a friendly chat after Christmas, whatever. Hit me friend, my sin is ugly, and I need your God-given gifts to help fight it off.

Rejoice with me folks, for Jerry has been refreshed in King Jesus of late. This has eternal consequences because it affects those who listen to him, those who know him, and those whom he comes into contact with. Moreover, it has an eternal scope, because the Lord uses this time not only for Jerry's life, but all as a part of his plan to redeem the Universe. God acting in this time, being a personal yet holy God, will cause His name to be loved, cherished, clung to, rejoiced in, sung about, and generally made a great deal of in ages to come.

I would encourage those of you who know Jerry to talk to him. Get some of the flames coming off of his fire at the moment. Soak in the Christ-exalting thoughts and words, and spread 'em around. I need this right now. I need to look at the life of this friend, and rejoice that God is a breathtaking God for doing what He has done. I need to repent of sin, and ask for a passion which refocuses every other passion to serve, honour, and love Jesus.

So talk to Jer.

part 1/3 complete.


al'Ander

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Thanks for talkin' pops. It's always real.