Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Experiment B-12

Do you ever notice how people tend to follow one another around. Today I got on the bus at Trent University, which was jammed pack because it was nearing its major drop off area at the steps of Bata Library. I was the first person to get off the bus, and I wanted to try an experiment. You see i have noticed when I am thirteenth or fourteenth off the bus, and one person ahead of me thanks the driver, the rest tend to follow suit. I try to thank the driver regardless of who else has done so, but today I took note of what would happen when I, who was getting off first, thanked the driver. As I left the bus I heard the next 3-4 persons follow suit. I wonder if they do it out of sincere thanks, or simply because they do not wish to look ungrateful when someone else has just thanked the driver. In any case the point remains that people follow others, be it consciously or subconsciously. Over the next few weeks I hope to observe the patterns of leadership which evoke the most amount of people to follow. Leadership in a loose fitting sort of way, where someone could be leading at a strictly subconscious level. I hope to post results soon, so keep reading...

1 comment:

Stevie B said...

Hey Todd!
I stumbled across your blog because Jerry Bolton's got a link to it on his.
How are you doing buddy? It's me Steve Bremner (Macho Spice, Fabio, Mook, etc...). I'll read some more of your blogs, but that's totally cool that you're going to Trent.

As for your observation. I was thinking of how in the Body of Christ also we tend to not realize we can reach for certain goals or see certain things happen until/unless we've seen someone else do it and pave the way. What do you think?

Be blessed

Steve