Friday, November 24, 2006

The Ignorant Mr. Anderson

In the last two days I picked up a copy of C.S. Lewis' 'Surprised by Joy'. I had to make one of those cards to put in the back of the book, so that the church would know it was out (it hadn't quite made it to the shelf yet). In any case the book is mind blowing because it is pure Lewis. The entire book is filled with references to books he has read (many classics), and also includes perhaps over 50 inserts of latin/greek/german/french phrases (most of which I did not comprehend). He is constantly saying things like: "This experience was akin to when Euripedes did this with (excuse my memory) So-and-so." And that was one of the really beneficial things about this book. It explained to me quite clearly that I have no right to boast about the books I have read, or the people I know of. C.S. was merely explaining facts about his childhood. I treat some of these names like trophies, even though I have never read them. To have even heard of Homer is nothing compared to someone who translates from the original. So this is good. Secondly, it re-emphasized the fact that spending my time wisely, and fruitfully is something I need to dedicate more energy to. From now on its no longer, "yeah I read Owen, he's pretty good" (having lightninged through Mortification of Sin [which, by the way, means I was probably thinking about something else and skimming/skipping humongous chunks]), but "I need to re-read this because I don't have anywhere near a good grasp on such-an-such an idea".

Be careful what you read folks.

In other news, I wrote a poem. For some reason every time I read Lewis I receive inspiration. I'll post it some other time.

4 comments:

Jerry said...

One of Deepspace5's guys... I think it's Sintax... has this crazy verse about C.S. Lewis on their most recent album... I just loaded it up and transliterated the lyrics by ear, so enjoy:

Jerry said...

Yo it's a gift to spit slang and talk in jive fables / with the Lion slays the Witch / and the Wardrobe of Clive Staples / sweep out the stables for the Horse and His Boy / 'cuz most are unprepared to be Surprised by Joy / I speak in brief words / this Grief Observed / and make rap something more than just vanity slurs / I make calamity yours / because you just keep dissin' how we minister the gospel / and it's clear you ain't listenin' to Deepspace 5 / spittin' for all the people who don't want to be spoon-fed their meal / you call it keepin' it real / ya'll tellin' a plain story / while we're breaking our backs to bear the full Weight of Glory / you see The Problem of Pain is Chiefly on Prayer / and my Letters to Malcolm they all vanished in thin air / famished and bone bare we suffer for lack of knowledge / we mistake godly wisdom for going to state college / paying petty homage and speaking His Name clear / even Christ mailed his words in a mystery that you can hear / the puzzle may speak a subtle socratic method / answered every question with a question (no question) / so however you feel led to screw your Maxell tape head / letter to the editor / tell them the issue's dead / Christ shed his godhead to steer humanity / towards something more than just Merely my Christianity

Jerry said...

Oh, and the song is Crumbs. Have me send it to you sometime, it's a gem.

Todd said...

wowzers...